Blue and white halved shirts, blue shorts and socks
White shirts, black shorts and socks
Chepstow Town Reserves
Larkfield Park, Chepstow
Chepstow Town history – Founded in 1878 Chepstow Town FC is the most easterly situated of all Welsh League clubs. Formerly known as Chepstow Castle
FC fixtures have been played at various venues around the town from Bulwark to St. Arvans and also at St. Mary’s institute ground which is where the Tesco supermarket is now located.
Up to the beginning of the First World War all matches played were in the local East Gwent League. The resumption of football after the war in the 1919-1920 season saw Chepstow Town become co-founders of the Welsh League. Welsh League football was enjoyed until the mid 1920’s which then saw the club relegated to the Mon. County League. In 1928 the club then entered the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League and they became champions of this league in the 1931-1932 season. Home matches during the club’s time in this league were played at the St. Mary’s institute ground. During World War Two the St. Mary’s ground was taken over by the Ministry Of Defence and used as a supply depot for the war effort.
At the end of the war returning local servicemen wanted to revive football in the area. The club was then reformed incorporating Chepstow Boys Club and Fairfield FC. The club subsequently rejoined the Mon. County League. In these immediate post war years Chepstow Town FC became the dominant club in the area and it was not uncommon for crowds of 200 to 300 to watch the club’s matches.
The period of the mid 1950’s to the mid 1960’s was one of great success for the club on and off the field and this was rewarded with promotion back to the Welsh League. This culminated with Chepstow Town becoming Division Two champions at the end of the 1964-1965 season. Regrettably due to the high cost of travelling expenses and financial problems the club were forced to drop out of the Welsh League. The club then entered the newly formed Gwent Premier League and quickly advanced to gain promotion to the First Division.
Due to Chepstow Council’s road expansion plans and the proposed re-development of the St. Mary’s ground the club was relocated to the present Larkfield ground in the late 1980’s. In 1997 the club gained promotion back to the Welsh League and remained there until being relegated back to the Gwent County League in 2007. Despite this setback Chepstow Town were determined to regain Welsh League status and this was achieved in 2012 with the club finishing as Gwent County League Division 1 champions. This was followed by the club achieving promotion to Welsh League Division 2 at the end of season 2012-2103.
Over the years the club has been graced with some notable managers including Brian Harris (Everton and Newport County) and Barry Vassallo (Arsenal and Plymouth Argyle). Chepstow Town players who became professional footballers were Ollie Burton (Newport County, Norwich City, Newcastle United and Wales); Colin “Rocky” Hudson (Newport County and Cardiff City) and Harry Harris (Newport County, Portsmouth and Wales).
|Lewis Ashton farr|