- Caldicot Town v Llanelli Town - Match Report

About the only positive the Reds can take from this third successive league defeat is at least they scored the best goal of the contest – a superb 25 yard strike by Sam Wade which levelled the scores at that stage.

This was about the only bright spot in an otherwise below par performance by the visitors with their opponents running out fairly comfortable winners, without showing too much invention themselves considering their current lofty league position.

The Reds also did not have too much luck, with the woodwork coming to the rescue of the home side three times, but they also failed miserably to place any serious pressure on stand-in keeper, Ashley Palmer, who came off the bench when home custodian Ben Davidson was forced off injured after just 16 minutes.

An early sortie by the visitors saw Bruno Forkuoh strike the top of the bar with his attempt, and when Anton Owens broke down the left, Palmer smothered his cross to the near post.

Tony Wallis then had a chance of putting Caldicot ahead when the ball was directed into his path, but his finish lacked power and Alex Ramsay made a comfortable catch.

The Reds goal survived another close call when Wallis directed a shot on the turn just wide, before he opened his account on 36 minutes following an Olly Smith free kick driven low to the far post which led to a scramble before Wallis got the final contact.

A Richard Lewis set piece led to Jamie Evans glancing his header wide of the home net, and the bar came to the rescue of the hosts again when it was struck by a header from Declan John after Lee Bevan had helped on a Lewis delivery.

On the stroke of half time, good play by Luke Jones gave Wade the opportunity to direct a sweet strike beyond Palmer, and the Reds were the first to threaten after the break with Lewis just failing to find the target with an audacious effort from fully 35 yards.

At the other end, the dangerous Wallis went close with a header following a high clearance into the box, before the introduction of Ben Smith by the home side certainly added a new dimension to their play, and he should have put his them ahead when Smith set up the chance, but his finish was wayward.

He was involved in the second goal on 81 minutes, showing persistence in winning the ball in a tussle on the left before finding Wallis infield whose neat finish restored the advantage.

Wade was desperately unlucky with another superb effort from distance which beat Palmer all ends up but rebounded off the underside of the bar and out to safety.

To add insult to injury, a minute from time Caldicot extended the lead when Keenan Perrett got to the near post and poked  a hopeful ball into the goalmouth where it appeared to deflect off Bevan past Ramsay to just about sum up the Reds` afternoon.

Another difficult game awaits them on Saturday when they travel to take on league leaders Undy Athletic, kick off 2 p.m.

CALDICOT TOWN;   Davidson (Palmer, 16); Gidney; Watkins; Garey; James ©; Wenzel;

Ross (Perrett, 68); Smith; Wallis; Slade (Smith, 56); Sharratt; Sub.not used : Harvey.

LLANELLI TOWN;   Ramsay; I. Evans; Lewis; Thomas; J. Evans; Bevan ©; Wade; John (Hughes, 70);

Jones (Martin, 70); Owens (Logan, 76); Forkuoh; Sub.not used; Zola.

SCORERS;               Caldicot Town – Wallis, 36, 81; OG, 89.

                             Llanelli Town – Wade, 45.


Caldicot Town – Ross; James; Wenzel; Gidney; Garey; Smith.

Llanelli Town – I. Evans; Jones; Thomas.

REFEREE;               Kevin Russell (Cardiff).