- Llanwern v AFC Llwydcoed - Match Report






Llwydcoed Welsh League Players returned to League action with a hard earned


victory their first match since December 5th.




The long lay off saw some of Llwydcoed's players returning to League action after injuries allowing AFC Llwydcoed Manager, David Haggett to recall Jay Powell and Oliver Roberts on the negative side Christopher Vardon and Rhys Welch were injured.




The match began and Llanwern created the first goal threat, the Llanwern player Dean Clifford thought his goal bound shot was going to hit the back of the net, Llwydcoed defender Jay Powell had other ideas he threw his body at the ball and stopped a certain goal, what a let off for the visitors. The match did not have to wait long for a goal, Llwydcoed's midfield won possession and Garin Withers shot on goals was deflected past the Llanwern goalkeeper Rob Bloor. On twenty minutes a second goal soon followed after more good play by Llwydcoed's Lewis Holder and Luke Spencer and as the first goal Garin Withers broke clear on goal and was brought down by the Llanwern goalkeeper Rob Bloor. Up stepped Ricky Carter who scored. The first half ended with Llwydcoed two goals in the goal bank account.




HT 0-2




Llanwern started the second half first to threaten and Matthew Rake almost reduced the scoreline his shot striking the cross bar. Llwydcoed's defender Luke Davies won a succession of important headers to ease the threat. After this lack lustre opening by Llwydcoed their midfield of Luke Spencer, Lewis Holder, Garin Withers and Andrew Ellis began to pass and move breaking open the Llanwern defence/midfield creating some brilliant chances with Garin Withers, Ricky Carter and Joe Jenkins doing brilliant but lacking composure. More chances came and went for Llwydcoed with Ricky Carter missing a brilliant chance. The introduction of Llwydcoed's first substitute saw Jonathan Mason replacing the injured Garin Withers. More brilliant chances were created for Andrew Ellis but no more goals. Llwydcoed made another two substitutions with Jordan Ellis replacing Liam Jones and Scott Walters replacing Andrew Ellis. Llanwern had been defending for long periods in the second half but they began to threaten through Gareth Delve and Marc Curtis. After a series of attacks they found too much space in Llwydcoed's shape and Dean Clifford shot past the Llwydcoed goalkeeper Andy Hargreaves the pressure was on Llwydcoed's defence but they still had chances to score, this time Jordan Ellis missing a superb chance. More good play by Joe Jenkins but the Llanwern goalkeeper Rob Bloor saved everything that was on target.




As the match entered the latter stages Llanwern almost equalised, only a top save by Llwydcoed's goalkeeper Andy Hargreaves prevented Llanwern from scoring, what a let off after missing so many chances Llanwern threatened until the final whistle coming very close to equalising but Llwydcoed gained the victory, just.