- AFC Llwydcoed v Llanelli Town - Match Report 2








The Red's first ever visit to the Welfare Ground ended in defeat with the hosts winning thanks to a solitary goal scored by their Captain Leigh Phillips.



AFC Llwydcoed Manager Mr David Haggett was again unable to select from his full squad with injuries to Lewis Bansal and Oliver Roberts plus several other players not available. The bonus was the return of Garin Withers, Leigh Phillips and Michael Davies.



The Reds began the match on the front foot attacking the Llwydcoed defence with Sam Wade and Bruno Forkuoh in harmony. The warnings signs were evident for Llwydcoed who were the team doing the defending. More pressure from the Reds saw Steve Stone trying to break open the Llwydcoed shape whose defenders Matthew Doherty, Leigh Phillips, Rhys Welch and Scott Davies remained solid as a unit. A difficult opening for Llwydcoed gradually improved with Jordan Ellis combining with Tyler Hollidge. It was the Reds defence who came under pressure and their defenders Richard Lewis and Ross Jones withstood the attacks, the diagonal ball from them kept the Llwydcoed defence on their toes The game began to move towards Llwydcoed thanks to Jordan Ellis and Luke Spencer they showed excellent work rate winning possession and bringing Tyler Hollidge, Joe Jenkins, Garin Withers and Ricky Carter into good areas, the linkup play was first class. More good play saw Joe Jenkins shooting over and Garin Withers racing clear, he tried to pick out Ricky Carter but the cross was over hit. Llwydcoed were playing so well a goal at this stage would have been deserved, chances came and went but no goals. The Reds were doing most of the defending when they did attack through Robert Thomas and Luke Jones Llwydcoed's defence stopped the danger.




HT 0-0




The Reds stared the second half as the first half, attacking the Llwydcoed defence looking to score the opening goal. The Llwydcoed defender/Captain Leigh Phillips organised his players to stop the threat. His goalkeeper Andy Hargreaves was fully alert to the situation. The match then swung back towards Llwydcoed thanks to the work rate of every Llwydcoed player. They began to create attack after attack with Jordan Ellis winning possession and linking up play with Joe Jenkins threatening to score the opening goal, a goal they deserved. More pressure finally saw Llwydcoed score the opening goal. They won another corner taken by Joe Jenkins and Leigh Phillips rose majestically to score with a top header. Llwydcoed almost scored another goal through Tyler Hollidge and Joe Jenkins. It only seemed a matter of time before they would, a goal bound shot by Ricky Carter crashed against the post. As the match entered the final quarter the Reds began to throw players forward. They introduced substitutes as did Llwydcoed. The Reds were awarded a free kick in a brilliant position that their substitute



Liam Samual took his shot crashing against the cross bar. Llwydcoed's defence were now under severe pressure, their goalkeeper Andy Hargreaves showed superb composure and handling at this stage. The match had become frenetic, first Llwydcoed would try to break clear from their defensive duties and then the Reds tried to break open the Llwydcoed defence and equalise but the final whistle blew with Llwydcoed gaining a deserved victory with a superb team display, every player working from each other.