- Match Report - PONTARDAWE TOWN v AFC LLWYDCOED 22/9/2018


The match ended in a pulsating draw both sets of supporters were treated to some top football on a top playing surface.


 The AFC Llwydcoed Management Team of Matthew Driscoll and Lewis Holder were without the services of Gabriel Williams, Elliot Morris, Luke Davies, Michael Davies, Liam Price and suspended Liam Jones. So six players missing and full credit to all the players who stepped in against The Town who are a top football side.




The match began with The Town's Declan Evans and Cory Saunders moving and passing to a top level putting pressure on the Llwydcoed defence and this fast opening by The Town caught Llwydcoed out and Liam Griffiths scored. 

They almost doubled their advantage with Josh Dorward and Cory Saunders creating havoc, it took some top defending by Llwydcoed's Tomos Morris and Chris Bristow to stop them. More pressure by The Town winning an array of corners saw Llwydcoed goal line under more pressure but the visitors defenders cleared the chance off the line. The hosts supporters were enjoying some top football.  Gradually the visitors began to gain some composure and possession with Will Grindall, Jordan Ellis, Callum Henry and Morgan Andrews combining. 

The Town were still dangerous on the break but the Llwydcoed players responded brilliantly showing how they can play with Ioan Evans threatening The Town defence winning a free kick.  More pressure by Llwydcoed saw them equalise when Ioan Evans and Cian Cable created the opportunity and Craig Moses opened the scoring, his first goal for the Club. 

The match had turned Llwydcoed's way and they soon scored goal number two when Ross Daniels hit a thirty yard screamer over the head of The Town's goalkeeper Dion Carroll.  The Town defence were the ones doing the defending,  they could not handle the skill of Llwydcoed's Ioan Evans and he was brought down in the penalty area so a penalty award .  Up stepped Jordan Ellis  as he did last week but this time he blasted high over the bar, what an opportunity lost when Llwydcoed were in the driving seat and they were made to pay for this The Town won possession moved the ball at pace and Liam Griffiths equalised a poor defensive goal by Llwydcoed.  An enthralling first half




HT 2-2




The second half started and The Town punished Llwydcoed again defensively, they won a corner and The Town's Tom Grey scored with a header, another defensive lapse by Llwydcoed.  The Town began to control possession again and threaten the Llwydcoed defence midfield whose goalkeeper Callum Quinton was alert to the threat.  The quality of both teams football was intriguing. 

Town's movement was matched by Llwydcoed's 100% attitude .  They come through another difficult period, the introduction of Llwydcoed's substitute Robert Evans made an immediate response flicking on a header to Ross Daniels and Craig Moses who found Callum Henry in space and he stepped inside the Town defender and shot past The Town goalkeeper Dion Carroll with a brilliant strike The match was there to be won.  The Town had chances the Llwydcoed goalkeeper Callum Quinton saving bravely and Llwydcoed's Ioan Evans raced through giving the Llwydcoed striker a shot to score but this time The Town goalkeeper Dion Carroll saved bravely. 




The match ended with the points shared.  Both sets of players deserving the credit for a quality entertaining match