- Ammanford v Dinas Powys - Match Report

Ammanford 2, Dinas Powys 2
by Peter King, Dinas Powys FC
Dinas looked to have taken all three points in this game, leading 2-0 with just 5 minutes remaining but the hosts netted twice in the final 3 minutes to grab a share of the points.
Considering the squad Dinas travelled with, with three young players making their first team debuts this was still a superb performance and manager Lee Saunders was extremely pleased with the outcome and that they had taken on board his instructions for the game.
It was the visitors who went on the attack first, with young King Junior Mwedzo latching onto a Nicky Bruce free kick, he got a shot away but it was straight at Ammanford keeper Daffyd Jones who took the ball comfortably.
At the other end Lloyd Davies combined with Michael Morris he forced a corner which also reached him and he brought a good save from Dinas keeper James Curtin. Morris then fed the dangerous looking Ammanford striker Matthew Fisher who brought another good save from Curtin at the expense of a corner which Rhys Palmer cleared. A mention must be made of young Dinas right back Rhys Harlin who put in a solid performance on his debut and is certainly a player who will figure regularly in the squad this season.
It was Dinas who opened the scoring on the 15 minute mark, Mwedzo went on a superb run with the ball, evading at least 4 tackles before squaring the ball to his strike partner Nicky Davison who smashed the ball high into the right hand side of the net for the opener, this partnership is certainly looking very promising.
Dinas kept the pressure on and Davison was extremely unlucky not to add to his tally as his shot cannoned off the upright and somehow the Ammanford defence cleared the danger before the Dinas players could get to the rebound.
Ammanford were then awarded a free kick on the edge of the Dinas box, Fisher took it, he hit it hard and low but it was a couple of feet wide of the Dinas post. Morris and Fisher kept probing down the left flank but the Dinas back four of Harlin, Mamadu Banguraso, James Marr and Nicky Bruce were dealing with most of the attacks.
Dinas then had a shout for a penalty after Mwedzo was brought down after he had headed a ball goalward which a defender cleared off the line, he sustained a nasty cut to his mouth but was ok to continue after treatment and the referee saw nothing wrong with the incident.
Adam Johns was also having a fine game for Dinas and he brought a good save down low from Jones when he fired in a pass from Davison.
Just before the break Curtin gathered an Ammanford corner well and Dinas were worth their slender lead at the interval.
The second half started with the game flowing from end to end, Morris testing Curtin again early on and at the other end Davison latched onto a throw in from Banguraso to shoot just wide from an acute angle Steffan Ross was a little unlucky to be booked as he went up for a header and made contact with his opponents head. Mwedzo then had a half chance, but his shot hit a defender on the
.line and the chance went begging.
Ammanford then rang the changes bringing on Owen James for James Murray on 15 minutes.
James Marr then went up for a Dinas corner from the right taken by Banguraso, he got a powerful header in but it was just over the bar.
The visitors were then awarded a free kick out wide on the right which Davison took, forcing Jones to push the ball over his bar at full stretch. Dinas couldn't get anything from the resulting corner.
Fisher then took a free kick for the hosts but it was well off target.
Dinas then won three corners on the trot and from the third one they were awarded a penalty as Joe Hinds was pushed off the ball. Up stepped Davison to hit a sweet strike down low to the keepers right to make it 2-0 to Dinas.
Steffan Ross was then substituted for Courtney Aviet and with just 5 minutes left and Dinas looking comfortable Rhys Palmer was replaced by young Tom Edwards. However,  another Ammanford sub was given too much room on the right of the Dinas area and he drove in unopposed to beat Curtin from 10 yards for 2-1. This gave Ammanford some hope and, in the final minute, they were awarded a free kick from some 25 yards in front of goal which Fisher took, curling his shot which clipped the inside of the post and went in much to the dismay of the Dinas contingent. There was only just time for Dinas to kick off again and the referee blew up for full time.
Dinas: 1 James Curtin, 2 Rhys Harlin, 3 Mamadu Banguraso, 4 Nicky Bruce, 5 James Marr (c), 6 Steffan Ross, 7 Adam Johns, 8 Joe Hinds, 9 Rhys Palmer, 10 Nicky Davison (2), 11 King Junior Mwedzo, 12 Courtney Aviet, 14 Tom Edwards.
Next Saturday, October 3, Dinas are in Welsh Cup Round 1 action when they host Cwmbran Town at the Murch, kick off 2pm.