- Match Report - Cwmamman United v Llanelli Town




     Grenig Park has proved to be something of a graveyard in the past for the Reds, but in their penultimate league game of the season they defied the odds, and came away with a creditable win, although they were pushed to the limit by their opponents.


     All the goals came in the first half, with the hosts taking the lead through Craig Spring, before some top class finishing by Chris Jones, Jordan Follows and James Loveridge eased the visitors into a half time advantage.


     However, they have goalkeeper Craig Morris to thank in the second period as he pulled off a number of important saves which kept the Cwm attack at bay, while Rob Jones in the home goal was seldom tested.


     After an early Loveridge effort was diverted for a corner, Cwm went ahead on 14 minutes when the ball was circulated to the right where Spring despatched a speculative attempt across the face of goal, and it struck the inside of the far post and into the net.


     The lead was short-lived, as within three minutes a Reds move involving Lee Trundle and Joe Clarke ended with Jones striking a superb 25 yard shot which rocketed low past the keeper.


     When the home side countered, Chris Allen lofted his finish over the top when he was found in space, before the visitors struck again in the 21st minute following a delivery by Loveridge which was met by Follows on the volley to comprehensively beat Jones.


     The Reds were well on top at this stage, and increased the lead further after 34 minutes when a typical piece of Trundle magic saw him nutmeg a defender with a backheel which found Clarke, and he in turn played in Loveridge who fired home.


     With a two goal cushion at the break , the visitors were probably confident of adding to the tally, but the second period proved to be something of an anti-climax with their opponents mainly dictating play, and Morris was by far the busier of the two keepers.


     His first save was a block to deny Rhys Morgan when he found himself unmarked close to goal, and then did even better by pushing over a close range header by Allen following a free kick into the goalmouth.


     Robert Thomas brought off a timely tackle on Colin Harris when he threatened to break through on the Reds` goal, and he was a thorn to the visitors throughout, playing in Allen who was again thwarted by Morris who got down to divert his finish for a corner.


     Cwm were now in the ascendancy, pegging back their opponents who were being confined to long range attempts, with Follows curling one just wide and then being closed down in the box by Gareth Howarth when Clarke set up the chance.


     Kyle Ashford was the next home player to offer up a threat, but again Morris was equal to the task, keeping out his near post shot.


     The visitors` made a number of changes, with Liam Samuel, Ross Jones and Luke Morgan replacing Kyle Graves, Clarke and Loveridge respectively, but the contest ended with Morris again in action, this time saving from Spring when he directed a close range header goalwards following a Jack Medwin free kick.


     CWMAMMAN UNITED;   Jones; Medwin; L. Allen; Dunn; Howarth; Spring ©; Ashford; John;


                                                 C. Allen; Harris; Morgan; Subs. not used; Curtis; Isaac; Rees; Howells;




     LLANELLI TOWN;             Morris; Graves (Samuel, 68); Facciuto; Finselbach; R. Thomas; March;


                                                C. Jones; Follows; Clarke © (R. Jones, 76); Trundle; Loveridge (Morgan, 79)


                                                Subs. not used; C. Thomas; Rees (GK).


     SCORERS;                         Cwmamman United – Spring, 14.


                                               Llanelli Town – C. Jones, 17; Follows, 21; Loveridge, 34.


     YELLOW CARDS;             Cwmamman United – C. Allen; John.


                                                Llanelli Town – Finselbach.


     REFEREE;                          Alex McInch (Cardiff).