- Match Report - Llanelli Town v Caerau Ely




     With four goals prior to the half time break, the Reds were virtually home and dry, and the second period proved to be something of an anti-climax, as they failed to add to the tally, despite creating numerous chances.


     Following the midweek defeat of leaders, Penybont, two of the three players forced off through injury were deemed to be fit enough to start, with Antonio Facciuto and captain Joe Clarke in the line-up, the only absentee being Kyle March.


     Jordan Vickers signed during the week from Cwmamman United was named on the bench, and came on for the final 25 or so minutes, during which time he displayed some nice touches.


     It took only 8 minutes for the opening score, with Lee Trundle finishing with an emphatic strike past goalkeeper Scott James when a clearance by Chris Thomas found him in space.


     Chris Jones then shot narrowly over the visitors` goal when Facciuto set up the chance, while James was called into action when an initial shot by Trundle was blocked before James Loveridge met the rebound, but the keeper managed to keep it out.


     Well on top and in control of matters with some ease, the Reds were then stunned when their opponents levelled on 16 minutes following a Nathan Mathias free kick which bounced awkwardly in front of Craig Morris and which he allowed to roll free, allowing Sam Cowley to find the net from point blank range.


     Despite this setback, the hosts continued to create chances with Loveridge being put clear by Trundle, but he knocked the ball too far, allowing James to come off his line and divert it for a corner.


     An even better chance then fell to Jordan Davies at the near post when Clarke drove in a cross, but he somehow managed to put it wide when it seemed easier to score.


     Home nerves were then settled to some extent when Trundle got his second in the 24th minute, when his first attempt was charged down but bounced kindly into the air for him to head into the roof of the net.


     Six minutes later, Robert Thomas swung over a delivery which found Clarke, and he took it on before slotting his finish beyond James.


     Loveridge then pulled up with an apparent hamstring problem, being replaced by Jordan Follows, before the visitors went close to reducing the deficit with a Mathias set piece from fully 30 yards whistling just wide.


     Having survived this, the Reds increased the lead in first half stoppage time when Jones found the bottom corner from the edge of the box after James had pushed clear a shot on target.


     Comfortably ahead at the break, Trundle was denied his hat trick when Lewys Ross Miles cleared off the line after Davies created the chance, prior to a further home change which saw Vickers make his debut for Kyle Graves.


          James brought off a good save to push out a Follows goal bound strike, before the striker had another great chance when put clear by Jones, but was unable to apply a decisive finish.


     A final home substitution saw Luke Morgan come on for Clarke, but just before the close, Follows had a further opportunity of getting on the scoresheet, but again failed to find the net when on a one-to-one with the keeper.


     Another precious three points for the Reds, but they need to work on their finishing as goal difference could prove to be vital at the end of the season.




Morris; Graves (Vickers, 64); Facciuto; R. Thomas; C. Thomas; Bevan; C. Jones; Davies; Clarke © (Morgan, 73); Trundle; Loveridge (Follows, 35);


Subs. not used; Samuel; L. Jones.                  


CAERAU (ELY);      


James; Maynard ©; L.R. Miles (Davies, 80); Thomas; Bridgeman; Mathias; Ajijedidun (Reffel, 77); Evans; B.R. Miles; Cowley; Outlaw;


Subs.not used ;  Corne; Williams.




Llanelli Town – Trundle, 8, 24; Clarke, 30; C. Jones, 45+3.


Caerau(Ely)    Cowley, 16.


YELLOW CARD     Caerau (Ely)    Mathias.


REFEREE               Owain Phillips (Cardiff).


ATTENDANCE              173.


     The Reds entertain Goytre next Friday evening, kick off 7.30 p.m.