- Match Report - Monmouth Town v Ton Pentre

Monmouth Town Kingfishers picked up their first three points of the season on Saturday 20th August as they beat Rhondda based side Ton Pentre in a goals galore thriller which saw new signing Dafydd Jones score twice.
The Kingfishers were looking for their first win of the season after being beat by title favourites Penybont in their first game and knew a win would be important with difficult away trips to Haverfordwest County and Goytre United next up.
Manager Ross Kennedy gave a start to new signings Dafydd Jones, Asa Kirkwood and Elliot Ford, while Jac Hardman started on the bench. Kennedy was forced to make one change to his side that were beat against Penybont bringing in Sam Oxley for the injured Dan Spence.
Both teams started the game slowly and struggled to maintain possession and both sides cancelled each other out in the early proceedings.
The first chance of the game went to the Town in the fifth minute when Dafydd Jones ran at the Ton Pentre defence and played a one two with Elliot Ford and shot from just outside the box however Jones shot was straight at the Rhondda Bulldogs goalkeeper.
Soon after against the run of play the Kingfishers took the lead when Sam Palmer played a ball down the line which Dafydd Jones ran on to and ran down the by line and beat his man and eventually pulled the ball back to Elliot Ford just outside the box who hit the ball first time into the bottom corner of the net.
Monmouth’s lead didn’t last for long and the home side equalised minutes later when the Kingfishers failed to clear the ball from their box and Ton Pentre’s midfielder picked the ball up on the edge of the box and shot forcing Asa Kirkwood to dive down to his left however the ball took a bobble and went over Kirkwood.
Both teams started to settle into the game and the home side were dominating possession however the Kingfishers were increasingly threatening on the counter attack and creating the better chances with Jones and Ford causing havoc in the bulldogs back four.
The Town had a good chance to take the lead on the half an hour mark when Kazeem Kareem won the ball just outside the Bulldogs box and shot with his right foot and forced Tons keeper into making a diving save down too his right.
The home side continued to dominate possession however the Kingfishers were creating all the chances with their pace in wide areas on the counter attack.
Just before half time however the home side should have took the lead when their striker ran onto a through ball which was played by their midfielder and he went one on one with Asa Kirkwood however Kirkwood made himself big and made a good save.
The Kingfishers started the second half very brightly and were playing some really good fast flowing counter attacking football creating overloads in wide areas and creating midfield rotations.
Monmouth had a good chance to take the lead in the 50th minute when Sam Oxley beat his man and floated a ball towards the front post which found Rob Laurie who headed just over the woodwork.
The Kingfishers finally made the break through when Mitchel Palmer played a first time through ball which Dafydd Jones ran on to and went one on one with the Bulldogs keeper and with the ball bouncing Jones superbly dinked the ball over the keeper and into the far corner.
Soon after the Kingfishers got another and again it was Jones who scored after Elliot Ford ran at Tons defence and played through Dafydd Jones who calmly slotted it past the keeper.
With Ton Pentre desperately searching for a way back into the game it created space for the kingfisher’s front three and in the 75th minute Monmouth got a fourth goal when Mitchel Palmer made a superb crunching tackle on the edge of the box and passed it out to substitute Jordan Heals at the back post who fired the ball first time into the ball into the bottom corner.
With ten minutes to go the home side scored a consolation goal when their striker scored a superb free kick from just outside the box where he curled the ball into the top corner.
Manager Ross Kennedy described his team’s first win of the season as “Very pleasing” he said “I felt that in the first half we struggled to keep the ball and could have gone into the break a goal down if it wasn’t for some good goalkeeping from Asa however I thought second half we were very good and clinical and took our chances and saw the game out well.” Kennedy added “The boys now must build on today’s win and add consistency to their game and play like they did week in week out.
The Towns next game is away to Haverfordwest County where they will be looking to build on their positive start to the season.