- Match Report - Monmouth Town v Port Talbot

Lewis rescues point
Monmouth Town 2-2 Port Talbot Town
Monmouth Town left it late to rescue a point against relegation rivals Port Talbot Town with the in-form Craig Lewis getting the equaliser and extending the Kingfisher’s unbeaten run to four games.
The Kingfishers knew a win would be key for their survival chances and came into the clash a point above their opponents having played three more games.
Both sides have enjoyed a good run of results with Monmouth winning their last three games. Port Talbot was also unbeaten in three games.
On the Sportsground and facing sunny conditions the game got underway and the Steel men started the game the brighter and troubled Monmouth early on with their pace in wide areas.
The first chance of the game came when Monmouth’s goalkeeper, Lee Williams, came out to clear the ball. He passed it out to a Port Talbot player who shot just on the edge of the box but his shot went just wide of the post.
Soon after the away side took the lead when their winger beat his man and ran down the line and squared it across goal which Lee Williams came out to catch but dropped and the ball fell straight to Port Talbot’s striker who had a simple tap in.
The Kingfisher’s immediately responded and had a good chance to take the lead when youngster Robbie Atkinson beat his man and cut in on his right foot, shooting from twenty five yards out but Atkinson’s shot hit the crossbar and went over.
Port Talbot continued to dominate early proceedings and Monmouth struggled to adapt to their counter attacking football.
The Steel men doubled their lead when Dan Spence lost the ball to Port Talbot’s winger who ran down the line and passed the ball across goal to his teammate at the back post who, again, had a simple tap in.
Monmouth started to come into the game and managed to maintain possession for the first time and troubled the away side with their attacking energy.
The Kingfisher’s got a goal back when Sam Oxley beat his man and put a great ball into the box which found Brad Flay at the back post and he headed the ball into the top corner.
Monmouth started the second half like they ended the first and were dominating possession and causing Port Talbot many problems on set pieces.
The Kingfisher’s had a great chance to equalise when Brad Flay played the ball across to Robbie Atkinson who went past his man and floated a ball into the box and found Rob Laurie. The Steel men’s goalkeeper made an outstanding acrobatic save and tipped Laurie’s header over the bar.
Monmouth had another good chance to equalise when Luke Cleaves floated a ball into the box which found Sam Oxley at the back post whose volley looked destined to go in.  Port Talbot’s defender heroically blocked it off the line.
The Kingfisher’s continued to dominate proceedings and had another great chance to equalise when Ash Ford cut in on his right foot and shot which Port Talbot’s keeper made a good diving save when Rob Laurie hit the rebound. The keeper again made an outstanding save and saved Laurie’s volley off the line.
Monmouth continued to attack at the Steel men with real intensity and it was all one way traffic. They finally got the equaliser when Robbie Atkinson floated a ball into the box, which again Rob Laurie headed, but his header hit the post.  Craig Lewis was there to fire the ball into the back of the net.
Manager Ross Kennedy described his sides draw as “pleasing” but “frustrating.” He said, “I’m happy with the boys performance, we started the game off slowly and Port Talbot punished us, however, we dominated the game and I felt on another day could of won”. Kennedy added, “It is a good point considering we were two down and now have extended our unbeaten run to four games”.
The Kingfisher’s are next home on Saturday 8th April against relegation rivals Taff’s Well where they will look to extend their unbeaten run and avoid the drop.