- Llanelli Town v Ammanford - Match Report

                                  LLANELLI TOWN   4    AMMANFORD   0

An eventful Stebonheath Park evening involving the near-neighbours culminated in three dismissals, with Robert Thomas being sent off for the hosts, while the same fate befell Ammanford`s Rhys Owen and Euros Griffiths.

To be fair to referee Bryn Markham-Jones, he had little option in all three cases with Richard Lewis and Luke Jones denied clear goal-scoring opportunities by tackles from Owen and Griffiths respectively, while Thomas brought down Michael Morris.

Ammanford began the brighter, with Craig Richards in the home goal fumbling a Matthew Fisher free kick around for a corner, while a shot on the turn from Ashley Richards cannoned off the Reds` bar, although an offside flag was raised anyway.

When the home side countered, Declan John sent an inviting cross into the goalmouth but nobody was in a position to take advantage, before the first red card of the evening was shown to Owen after 20 minutes after a quickly taken free kick by Steve Berry wide to Lewis on the left sent him on a path towards goal, but he was brought down by the defender and the visitors reduced to ten men.

The Reds were well on top, and their opponents were forced into some desperate defending in a bid to keep them out, conceding several corners in the process.

But it took the award of a penalty to finally break the impasse when Sam Wade was brought down in the Ammanford box in the 36th minute, and Luke Jones stepped up to drive his kick low past goalkeeper Dafydd Jones.

Two minutes later the advantage was doubled through captain Lee Bevan who met a far post free kick by Thomas to power a header past the keeper.

This proved to be Thomas`s last involvement in the match, as within a minute he became the second player to be red-carded for the challenge on Morris, evening up the numerical numbers of the sides.

A scrappy opening second half produced little in the way of constructive moves by either team, the loudest cheer being reserved for the introduction by the Reds of Liam Samuel on 55 minutes when he replaced Wade.

He was involved almost immediately, sending over a cross which Lewis took on and was about to unleash a strike on goal before Dayle Selvage nicked the ball away.

Ammanford went close through Matthew Fisher who fired a free kick just wide with Richards scrambling across his goal, but they were up against it again when they were reduced to nine men after 79 minutes with Griffiths seeing red after bringing down Luke Jones as he was making tracks towards goal.

There was worse to follow when Morris was forced off injured, and with all three substitutions having been made, the visitors played out the final stages with just eight players.

A well struck shot by Lewis from distance was kept out with some difficulty by Jones, while Samuel volleyed just over the top from the edge of the area.

With the contest in stoppage time, the Reds rammed home their numerical advantage by adding two more to their tally, Samuel firing a free kick low past the keeper, while Luke Jones got his brace, meeting a cross before hammering the chance past Jones to seal another emphatic win.

The result sends the Reds to the top of the table on goal difference from Caldicot Town whose scheduled match against Cwmamman United became a victim of the weather.

LLANELLI TOWN ;  Richards; Napieralla; John; R. Jones (Holland, 69); Berry; Bevan ©;

                         Wade (Samuel, 55); Shannon (Harries, 59); L. Jones; Thomas; Lewis;

                         Subs. not used; Martin; Holmes.

     AMMANFORD;      Jones; Selvage; R. Fisher © (Soal, 72); Griffiths; Owen; Murray (Harding, 23);

                             K. Morgan; R. Morgan; M. Fisher; Richards (Davies, 55); Morris;

                             Subs. not used; James; Rano.

SCORERS;               Llanelli Town – L. Jones, 36 (P), 90+2; Bevan, 38; Samuel, 90+4.

     YELLOW CARDS;  Llanelli Town – Berry; Harries; L. Jones.

                              Ammanford – M. Fisher.

RED CARDS;             Llanelli Town – Thomas.

                              Ammanford – Owen; Griffiths.

REFEREE;                 Bryn Markham-Jones (Swansea).

ASSISTANT REFEREES;   Wayne Neal; Ben Kathrens.

ATTENDANCE;                             301.

The Reds are next in action on Saturday, 26thSeptember, when they travel to meet Cwmbran Celtic, kick off 2.30 p.m.