- match Report - Taffs Well v Llanelli Town - Welsh Cup


10 games, 23 goals and 5 hat-tricks – the Lee Trundle bandwagon shows no sign of slowing down, and for this Llanelli Town must be eternally grateful.

He completed another treble at Rhiwdda to ensure the visitors would be in the third round draw of the JD Welsh Cup at the expense of their first division opponents, and with the Welsh Premier clubs entering the competition at this stage, the Reds will be hoping for a favourable outcome – preferably at Stebonheath.

Both sides qualified for the round in completely different circumstances with the Wellmen being taken to a penalty shoot-out at home against Port Talbot Town after a goalless 120 minutes, while their opponents crushed Trethomas  Bluebirds 6-0, and there was much expectation surrounding this tie, evidenced by the large attendance in excess of 500.

The visitors made a number of changes to their starting line-up with Jordan Follows returning after his one match suspension to partner Trundle up front, allowing Ross Jones to revert to midfield while Richard Lewis replaced Adam Jones at left back, who was on the bench along with Luke Jones, Liam Samuel, Luke Morgan and Anthony Finselbach.

The Reds began well, with both Trundle and Callum Silcox going close, while Jordan Davies won possession from Kyle Patten before making ground into the box, but delayed too long and was crowded out.

A long clearance by home captain, Dan Clare, found ex Cardiff City player Leon Jeanne deep in the Reds` half, and his first time volley drifted just off target.

Jeanne would prove to be a constant threat throughout, and it was from his delivery on the left which led to the opening goal on 22 minutes when Craig Morris could only palm it on to the head of Simon Prangley who gratefully accepted the gift from close range.

There then occurred a touchline incident involving home manager Lee Bridgeman and referee Gavin Townsend, leading to the dismissal of Bridgeman to the stand, before the Reds levelled matters in the 36th minute through Trundle, when he picked up a pass at the near post before somehow guiding his finish through the narrowest of gaps between the upright and goalkeeper Phil Draper.

Spurred by this, they pushed forward with Robert Thomas firing wide, while a Lewis free kick was met by Trundle but kept out by the keeper who then managed to deny Thomas from the rebound.

Lee Bevan won a tussle for the ball with Prangley before finding Trundle, but on this occasion his finish was wayward.

All square at the break, within five minutes of the restart the Wellmen went ahead again after Chris Thomas and Marcus Jones were involved in a challenge for a ball in the box with the latter going down and referee Townsend pointing to the spot.

Jeanne stepped up to take the kick, but Morris guessed correctly and his sprawling save kept it out, but unluckily the ball ran loose to Jeanne who steered it home.

Home celebrations at the success were however shortlived, as within four minutes their opponents struck back following a cross driven low into the middle which Trundle met on the turn on the edge of the area to sweep it past Draper into the bottom corner.

It then took an important save by Morris to keep out a potential goalbound effort from Mike Murphy, and this proved crucial as within a minute Trundle struck again, brilliantly turning a clutch of defenders prior to smashing his finish into the net to put the Reds ahead for the first time in the tie after 56 minutes.

The home side piled on the pressure following this setback, and the visitors were forced to defend deep, with Morris just managing to beat Prangley to a cross into the goalmouth by Jones, while Jeanne continued to cause problems down the left flank whenever he gained possession.

With time running out, the Reds came close to adding a fourth when invariably Trundle picked up a pass on the byline and somehow dribbled  past the covering defenders before unleashing his finish, but a block at the near post just about kept it out.

At the final whistle, the Reds celebrated another famous win, but the drama was still not quite over as home playe r, Tom Burridge, was red carded, presumably for comments made to the referee.

TAFFS WELL;   Draper; Thomas; McDonnell; Burridge; Clare ©; Hodge (Mohsin, 59);  M. Jones;

                    Patten (Feeley, 74); Prangley; Jeanne; Murphy; Subs. not used; N. Jones; McLean;


LLANELLI TOWN;  Morris; Graves; Lewis; R. Thomas; C. Thomas; Bevan ©; R. Jones (Morgan, 79);

                         Davies; Follows; Trundle; Silcox (Samuel, 71);  Subs. not used; L. Jones; A. Jones;


SCORERS;          Taffs Well;    Prangley, 22; Jeanne (P), 50.

                         Llanelli Town;   Trundle, 36, 54, 56.

YELLOW CARDS;   Taffs Well; Hodge; Prangley; Burridge (2).

RED CARD;           Taffs Well; Burridge.

REFEREE;             Gavin Townsend (Tredegar).

ATTENDANCE;                500 (Est.).

     The Reds have no game this weekend due to the Wales World Cup qualifier. Their next match is home to near neighboursAmmanford on Saturday, 19th November. Kick off 2 p.