- AFC Llwydcoed v Bettws - Welsh Cup


Llwydcoed returned to winning ways after two consecutive defeats with goals from Joe Jenkins, Ricky Carter (pen) Garin Withers (2) and Leigh Phillips.




AFC Llwydcoed Manager Mr David Haggett made four changes after last weekend's defeat with Lewis Bansal, Matthew Doherty, Joseph Jenkins and Christopher Vardon recalled.




Bettws started full of confidence after their League Cup win last weekend. They were the first team to attack with Tom Walters finding space in Llwydcoed's shape, his cross just failed to find Ryan Hughes. The Llwydcoed defence were busier than Bettws at this early stage who kept creating chances through Leighton Williams and Arron Jenkins. The Llwydcoed defence/midfield were being tested and gradually began to create their own chances with Christopher Vardon playing Garin Withers into space, he broke clear and the Bettws defence cleared the danger. Both teams were trying to create an opportunity to score the opening goal. The Bettws defenders were stopping the Llwydcoed attacking threat but that changed. Lewis Bansal started the move finding Oliver Roberts and who in turn found Joe Jenkins who unleashed a screamer into the top corner a “Goal of the Season” contender. Another goal followed when Llwydcoed's midfield unlocked the Bettws defence allowing Joe Jenkins into space and when he received the ball a Bettws defender was adjudged to have fouled him. Up stepped Ricky Carter to score the penalty. Bettws had started so brightly but were trailing by two goals. Llwydcoed's midfield were pulling the strings and more goals seemed possible but Bettws shocked the hosts they broke out of defence and Llwydcoed were punished for some sloppy team defending and Ryan Hughes scored. The match then swung back to Bettws. More sloppy play by Llwydcoed saw them give away a penalty. Up stepped Rhys Dyke to equalise. A crazy half of football, both teams had been punished for poor play especially Llwydcoed.



HT 2-2


Bettws started the second half as the first. The Llwydcoed defence were the one being tested with Rhys Dyke and Tom Walters trying to create the opportunity for Bettws. After this opening spell Llwydcoed players began to build attack and attack. The Bettws defenders Lewis Bissmire and Shaun Farrell stood firm but after a sustained spell of pressure Llwydcoed made the breakthrough. Christopher Vardon made space for himself and spotted Garin Withers who headed the superb cross past Bettws goalkeeper John Davies and as in the first half Llwydcoed scored another goal within minutes, this time Leon Bansal made the opportunity with an audacious pass for Garin Withers to score. So, could Bettws respond with more help from Llwydcoed they were given another penalty from another poor piece of play but this time Llwydcoed's goalkeeper Brett Davies read the spot kick saving Rhys Dyke's second penalty that could have been the way back for Bettws.



The introduction of Llwydcoed's substitutes Luke Spencer, Jordan Ellis and Tyler Hollidge saw them see out the game. Llwydcoed's midfield were dominating possession and their defender Leigh Phliips finalised the scoring by shooting powerfully left footed to seal a deserved victory.