- Match report - Aberbargoed Buds v AFC Llwydcoed





 The “Buds” gained their first victory of the season and in doing so Llwydcoed slumped to their fifth defeat. Both teams played their part in an entertaining attacking match. The “Buds” took full advantage of the space they were given and outscored Llwydcoed.

 The 4G playing surface offered a fast platform for both teams. Llwydcoed broke through in the early minutes through Andrew Ellis , Shay Friel and Joe Jenkins. They were rewarded for this promising opening with the opening goal. The “Buds” lost possession, Llwydcoed's Jordan Ellis intercepted the pass and played Christopher Vardon into space and showed his quality with a brilliant finish. More good play by Llwydcoed's Liam Jones and Jonathan Mason who raced clear and just failed to pick out Christopher Vardon. The opening quarter of the first half was so encouraging for Llwydcoed.. The “Buds” had been on the defensive for the opening quarter that soon changed, they began to gain possession and Scott Armitage took full advantage of his movement and understanding of his midfield breaking the off side trap racing clear only some brilliant defending by Llwydcoed's Gabriel Williams stopped the threat. More pressure by The “Buds”, this time Llwydcoed's goalkeeper Andy Hargreaves saved his team. Both teams were playing a high line. Llwydcoed returned to the attack through Shray Friel, Adam Butler and Jonathan Mason who looked dangerous. Back came The “Buds” through Dan Richards, Scott Armitage and Callum Evans, they broke the Llwydcoed shape and should have equalised but they did not have to wait much longer, they broke through the Llwydcoed shape and Dan Richards scored. The “Buds” were now on top taking full advantage of Llwydcoed losing possession. Several times Llwydcoed's saviour was defender Gabriel Williams tackling The “Buds” strikers as he was about to shoot the half time whistle blew with The “Buds” edging it but the scores were level just.



 Llwydcoed started the second half as the first gaining possession and building attacks. The “Buds” defence held firm and cleared the threat, they played themselves into midfield and played Scott Armitage into space, he used all his experience to hold off a Llwydcoed defender and scored. Llwydcoed had been punished after a good start to the second half. Before they could regain their composure the “Buds” were allowed to play themselves through the Llwydcoed midfield and only a superb reflex save by Llwydcoed's goalkeeper Andy Hargreaves saved his team twice but The “Buds” were not to be denied and Tom Gameson scored. Llwydcoed introduced substitutes Ioan Evans and Matthew Jenkins changing the shape and began to threaten The “Buds” defence. The response was positive building through Tom Morris, Shay Friel and Joe Jenkins they were rewarded for this spell. Christopher Vardon raced clear and scored with another quality finish. The “Buds” were the team doing all the defending at this stage. Llwydcoed had more chances with Jonathan Mason, Joe Jenkins and Tom Morris trying desperately to equalise. Llwydcoed introduced their finalsubstitute Scott Walters pushing more players forward hoping to equalise, the “Buds” defence midfield were defending for the latter stages and as the match entered the final minutes The “Buds” took full advantage of another Llwydcoed misplaced pass and Dan Richards scored with a top shot. Both teams had played out a brilliant attacking game The “Buds” took full advantage of lapses in the Llwydcoed Team display to win.




AFC Llwydcoed Nathaniel Cars Welsh League Reserve Central Squad returned to winning ways with a comprehensive victory at home against Treowen Stars winning 4-0 with goals from:

Josh Tucker (3) and John Marczak (1). An excellent team display with young Morgan Phillips back to his best supported by Joe Boulton and Josh Tucker.


1) Treowen Stars goalkeeper makes an incredible save from a Llwydcoed attack. 

2) AFC Llwydcoed and Treowen players try to gain possession

3) AFC Llwydcoed Connor Waters tries to build an attack.

4) AFC Llwydcoed's striker John Marczak moves forward in an attack.


IMG_5577.JPGIMG_5578 Llwydcoed.JPG