- Ynysddu Welfare 2, Dinas Powys 6 - Welsh Cup

This cup tie was closer than the scoreline suggests but Dinas upped their game in the final 30 minutes to net five times and take them into the Round One draw on Monday evening.
Welfare started the game well retaining possession on the 3G pitch at Pontllanfraith Leisure Centre and it took Dinas a while to settle but it was the visitors who had the first half chance, a pass from Nicky 'Cheggers' Davison finding Adam Johns whose shot was blocked by a defender for a corner, taken by Jamie McClaggon which resulted in a goalmouth scramble ending in another Dinas corner which was cleared.
The visitors got their noses in front on the 15 minute mark when Joe Briscombe and McClaggon combined to play Ryan Garland in, he hit a sweet strike from 18 yards which nestled in the net at the far post giving the home keeper Ryan Watkins no chance.
Steffan Ross was having a solid game and it is hard to believe he has only been playing football for 3 years, he found Davison with a good pass which nearly produced another goal for Dinas. Striker Davison was put through again 5 minutes later but could only hit the side netting.
On 23 minutes central defender Connor Caton,  who was celebrating his 21st birthday, thought he had given himself a present when he headed home a McClaggon corner but the referee disallowed the goal for pushing.
The home side were still having a lot of possession without really creating many scoring chances but their striker Brendan Scott did manage a shot on target which Dinas keeper Alister Johnston gathered easily and Johnston had to be alert soon after this when a cross from Jak Alder found Tony Davies but Johnston dived on the ball before he could shoot.
Dinas then had a let off when Jacob Wescombe was played in leaving Johnston in no mans land but Wescombe's shot hit the post and Johnston dived on the ball. The hosts sensed their chance was coming and Gareth Knott hit a speculative free kick from 40 yards which was volleyed away by Dinas skipper Ben Luck.
After another Welfare free kick hit the Dinas wall they broke at pace down to the other end and won a corner which came to nothing.
Wescombe and Alder were linking up well for Welfare but the final ball in was being cleared comfortably by Luck and Caton time after time.
However, just a minute before the interval, Ynysddu equalised when Tony Davies got his head to a cross to net from close range.
In the final minute Dinas thought they had scored again but a defender somehow got a foot to the ball to clear the danger and it was honours even at half-time.
The home side made two substitutions at half time bringing on Ethan Shide and Joshua Casca. They had the first chance to break the deadlock early on when  Knott hit a long shot just under Johnston's cross-bar but he gathered it at full stretch.
Keiron James then went on one of his mazey runs for Dinas but was driven out wide on the right, he managed to get a cross in but Watkins grabbed the ball with the Dinas strikers closing in. Just five minutes into the half Briscombe was convinced he had scored for Dinas when his shot hit the underside of the bar and bounced down but the referee adjudged it had not crossed the line.
At the other end Dinas had Caton to thank when he headed a fierce shot by Dan Eedy over the bar and the resulting corner came to nothing.
Ross again found Davison with an astute pass, he volleyed the ball on target but Watking made a good save.
Dinas manager Lee Saunders then changed his formation round, pushing Garland up top to support Davison. This paid dividends immediately when Caton found Davison to lay the ball off to Garland and he curled the ball past Watkins to give Dinas the lead with 30 minutes remaining.
Ynysddu then brought Aaron Pewtner on and Dinas also made a change, Briscombe making way for Luke Swaffield with 20 minutes remaining. A fine flowing move by Dinas involving Adam Johns Davison and Garland ended with Davison shooting just wide but he was not to be denied and he latched onto a ball out wide on the right, beat his marker and drove the ball home from 12 yards to make it 3-1 to Dinas with 15 minutes remaining. Just two minutes later Garland evaded two tackles to bag his hat-trick with another sweet strike and put the game to bed at 4-1.
Garland was then substituted, making way for Mamadu Banguraso and he soon got into the action when he curled a cross cum shot in from the left touch line which nestled in the top corner at the far post for 5-1.
A lack in concentration led to the hosts pulling one back with a simple tap-in by Pewtner but Dinas had the last word, when Keiron James glided through the tiring Welfare defence to slot home to make the final score 6-2.
Dinas squad: 1 Alister Johnston, 2 James Marr, 3 Jamie McClaggon, 4 Keiron James (1), 5 Connor Caton, 6 Steffan Ross, 7 Ryan Garland (3), 8 Joe Briscombe, 9 Adam Johns, 10 Nicky Davison (1), 11 Ben Luck (c), 12 Mamadu Banguraso (1), 14 Steve Provis, 15 Luke Swaffield 16 James Curtin (gk), 17 Nicky Bruce.
It's back to league action for Dinas on Saturday 19th September, when Cwmamman United visit the Murch, 2.30pm kick off.