- West End v Dinas Powys- Match Report

With two key players unavailable and two others having to leave the field with injuries in the second half this was always going to be an uphill struggle for the young Dinas side but in the end, it was three set pieces that proved their undoing and apart from that the game was fairly even.
Just 3 minutes into the game a ball over the top to Tortella Delano saw him shoot straight at Dinas keeper James Curtin for an easy save.
Dinas soon got into their stride and the game was end to end. However Curtin was called into action again to gather a cross from the left.
Luke Swaffield and Sam Adamson were combining well down the right wing without causing any concern in the West End defence.
West End were then awarded a free kick some 25 yards from goal taken by Kieran O'Brian but his effort went out for a goal kick.
Then from a corner O'Brian headed the ball down, it clipped Dinas defender Rhys Harlin and deflected into the net for an own goal on the 25 minute mark.
Just after this Delano got a shot on target but Curtin got down smartly to make the save.
Sam Adamson then made a determined run down the right wing for Dinas, he got a good cross in forcing a corner which came to nothing.
The home side were creating more chances but play was still flowing from end to end with Ryan Garland getting chances for Dinas but was getting caught offside too many times.
Garland and Palmer were linking up well at times with Adamson but the West End defence were well organised.
Just before the half-time whistle went Garland was fouled by Elliot Gowan, the referee producing a yellow card and at the break the visitors were a little unlucky to be a goal down.
Rhys Palmer had to be replaced at the start of the second half having sustained a knock, Adam Jones taking his place.
The home side won an early corner which the Dinas defence dealt with, however, they won another corner from the left taken by Ryan Thomas and the ball came to Delano who scored in the top corner with the Dinas defence not closing down fast enough for 2-0 with just 5 minutes of the half gone.
Dinas were then dealt a big blow when central defender Nathan Donnelly, who had been having a fine game, sustained a knee injury and could not continue, Courtney Aviet his replacement.
Keiran James then drove through the West End midfield, played a one two with Aviet but his shot was wide of the target. Dinas were playing some good passing football at times without any end product.
From yet another West End corner the ball was only half cleared to Gareth Howarth who picked his spot just inside the right post to make it 3-0 with 25 minutes remaining.
Dinas began to get more pressure at this stage and a great turn and shot by Garland looked to be going in but Luke Fleming managed to push the ball round the post for a corner. The corner found the head of Jones but his effort, although powerful, was too close to Fleming who made the save.
Dinas then made their final substitution, Miles Case being replaced by Tom Edwards.
With 5 minutes remaining Curtin was called into action again, making a superb double save from Josh Davies.
The last 5 minutes were mainly in the visitors favour, winning an indirect free kick which James put over the bar and a powerful free kick by Nicky Bruce which was also off target. In the final minute Garland got a shot on target but it was too far out to trouble Fleming.
Apart from the three goals from corners West End were not really three goals better but Dinas must react quicker at these set pieces.
Dinas: 1 James Curtin, 2 Luke Swaffield, 3 Rhys Harlin, 4 James Bloxham, 5 Nathan Donnelly, 6 Keiran James (c), 7 Rhys Palmer, 8 Sam Adamson, 9 Ryan Garland, 10 Myles Case, 11 Nicky Bruce, 12 Courtney Aviet, 14 Tom Edwards, 15 Adam Jones.
Next Saturday, February 6, Llanwern are the visitors to the Murch, 2pm ko.