- Monmouth Town v Taffs Well - Match Report

Monmouth Town 1-1 Taff’s Well

Monmouth Town FC had to settle for a point after going into the break a goal up through Brad Flay against relegation rivals Taff`s Well on Saturday.

Monmouth came into the game four games unbeaten, one place outside the relegation zone and knew a win would be vital for their survival chances.

The Well men started the game positively and nearly were a goal up inside thirty seconds when from the kick off their striker was played a through ball to run onto but Dan Spence managed to get back and slide tackle Taff`s striker and with the Taff`s well players and supporters shouting for a penalty the ref waved play on.

After such a slow start the Kingfishers came into the game and started to maintain possession well and troubled Taff`s early on with their pace out wide.

Monmouth had a good chance to take the lead when Brad Flay was fouled on the edge of the box and Mitchell Palmer took the free kick but his shot went just wide of the post.

Soon after the Kingfisher’s took the lead when Brad Flay won the ball off the Well men’s full back and ran at the Taff`s defence. He got tackled however the ball then hit Flay’s leg and rolled into the bottom corner of the net.

Monmouth had a good chance to double their lead shortly after when Sam Oxley won the ball and played it out to Mitchell Palmer who ran down the by line and passed the ball across to Brad Flay who took a touch and shot but the Well men’s keeper made a good diving save.

Monmouth continued to dominate proceedings and had another good chance to double their lead when Sam Oxley ran down the line and floated a ball into the box which found Craig Lewis at the back post who volleyed just wide of the post.

Taff`s started the second half like a different side and passed the ball around well and troubled the Kingfisher’s with their fast flowing counter attacking football.

The Well men equalised soon after when their midfielder picked the ball up; played a through ball which their winger ran onto and went one on one with Lee Williams. He squared the ball across to his teammate who had a simple tap in.

The Kingfisher’s had a good chance to regain the lead when Mitchell Palmer floated a free kick into the box which found Rob Laurie at the back post. Laurie headed towards goal, however, Taff’s defender heroically blocked Laurie’s header off the line.

The Town had another good chance to take the lead when Mitchell Palmer ran at Taff`s defence and played a one two with Jake Robinson and shot. Again, the Well men’s keeper made a magnificent diving save and tipped Palmer’s shot around the post.

Both teams continued to attack at each other with great intensity in the latter stages of the games as they both looked to get a winner.

With time running out the away side had a great chance to take the lead when their winger beat his man and ran down the line and whipped a ball towards the back post which found their striker at the back post whose header went just over the bar.

Deep into stoppage time Monmouth had a golden opportunity to win the game when Lee Williams kicked the ball up the pitch and was flicked on by Rob Laurie and Craig Lewis ran onto it and went one on one with the Well men’s goalkeeper. Lewis put his shot over the bar.

Manager Ross Kennedy described his side’s performance as “frustrating”. He said, “I thought we dominated the first half and really should off scored more and we have been punished for not taking our chances.  I felt we were poor in the second half”. Kennedy added “That’s eleven points from fifteen and five games unbeaten. Now we most focus on our game against Penybont and fight till the end to keep the club up”.

The Kingfisher’s next game is at home against Penybont on Wednesday 19th April at 6.30pm and their last game of the season is also at home against, already relegated Risca United on Saturday 22nd April, in what Kennedy has described as two ‘must win’ games and has requested for your continued support.