- Monmouth Town v Goytre - Match Report

Kingfishers edge Monmouthshire derby

> Monmouth Town 2-1 Goytre AFC
> A resilient and hardworking Monmouth Town side managed to hold on to beat Monmouthshire rivals Goytre with Mitchell Palmer scoring a stunning free kick and Ashley Ford also getting on the score sheet.
> The Town knew a win would be vital for their survival chances, and came into the clash in the relegation zone and a point behind Port Talbot Town.
> The Kingfisher’s had recorded back to back wins for only the second time this season going into the game after beating relegation rivals Caldicot Town and Risca United.
> On the Sportsground and facing blustering, chilly conditions the Monmouthshire derby got underway. The home side started the brighter and caused Goytre problems with their fast flowing counter attacking football and with their pace in wide areas.
> Within five minutes the Kingfisher’s took the lead when Sam Palmer floated a ball into the box which was cleared by a Goytre defender. However, the ball fell to Ashley Ford on the edge of the box who hit it first time and his shot was deflected by a Goytre player and flew into the top corner.
> The Kingfisher’s continued to dominate early proceedings and had a good chance to double their lead soon after when Sam Palmer whipped a corner into the box which found Dan Spence at the back post whose header was acrobatically tipped over the bar by Goytre’s keeper.
> Goytre managed to get into the game and started to trouble the Kingfisher’s defence with their long ball football.  The away side had a great chance to equalise when their midfielder played a through ball which their striker ran onto and went one on one with Lee Williams and chipped the ball over Williams.  Luckily, it hit the bar and Ash Ford managed to clear the ball away.
> Soon after the Kingfisher’s doubled their lead when Robbie Atkinson was awarded a free kick just outside the box and Mitchell Palmer stepped up to take it. Palmer bent his free kick around the wall and the ball flew into the top corner.
> Goytre had two good chances to pull one back just before the break when former Monmouth man Dan Macdonald volleyed just wide of the post and when their midfielder forced Lee Williams into making a diving  save.
> The Town started the second half like they started the first and caused Goytre many problems with youngsters Brad Flay and Robbie Atkinson looking a major threat whenever they got the ball.
> Monmouth had a good chance to get a third when Sam Palmer won a free kick just on the edge of the box which Rob Laurie took and forced Goytre’s keeper into making a fine save, tipping Laurie’s shot over the bar.
> The away side were looking increasingly dangerous on set pieces with their height and caused the Kingfisher’s defence numerous problems.
> Dan Macdonald had a good chance to pull a goal back for his team when he drilled his free kick towards goal. Again, Lee Williams made a fine save and tipped MacDonald’s free kick onto the bar.
> Goytre were dominating possession and the Kingfisher’s could not get out of their own half. Another former Monmouth man Josh Brown had a great chance to pull a goal back when he went one on one with Lee Williams but Brown dragged his shot wide.
> Brown had another great chance moments later when again he went one on one with Lee Williams but Williams made himself big and made a good save.
> Goytre continued to attack at Monmouth with real intensity in the latter stages of the game as they searched for a goal.  Josh Brown had a golden opportunity to get his side back into the game when Goytre’s centre back played a long ball up to target man Lewis Sommers who flicked it on.  Dan Macdonald ran onto the ball and passed it across to Josh Brown who once again went one on one with Lee Williams but Brown put his shot just wide of the post.
> Goytre finally made the break through and pulled a goal back with fifteen minutes to go when the Kingfisher’s failed to clear a cross and their midfielder won the ball and slotted it past Lee Williams from close range.
> With time running out the Kingfisher’s were defending like their lives depended on it and knew how important a win would be for their chances of staying up.
> Deep into stoppage time Goytre had a great chance to salvage a point when their midfielder hit a shot twenty yards out but hit the post and the Town’s defence managed to clear the ball away.
> Manager Ross Kennedy described his team’s performance as “superb” and “well-deserved”. He said “I thought we played excellent and deserved our win. I thought our back four were solid again and we took our chances well. We rode our luck at the end but I was extremely happy with the teams work rate and desire”.

> The Kingfisher’s are home again next Saturday to relegation rivals Port Talbot Town in another crucial Welsh League Division One fixture as they look to make it four wins on the bounce.