- Llanelli Town v AFC Porth - Match report


Both sides were back in action after a long period of inactivity due to the atrocious weather with the Reds playing their first game since early December, while their opponents` last outing was in late October.

Again, conditions were far from ideal, with heavy, blustery showers sweeping across the ground, combined with a gusty, swirling wind, and the playing surface at the close had cut up badly.

The home side included new signings Anton Owens and Jandir Zola on their bench, with Owens coming on as a replacement for Nathan Logan at the start of the second half, and they were soon on the offensive with Richard Lewis forcing Porth keeper Chris Golton to divert his effort from distance around the post after the initial pass from Declan John set up the chance.

The visitors then created an opportunity when Nathan Doe latched on to a through ball and advanced on the goal, but  Reds` keeper Craig Richards got down to grasp his finish at full stretch.

Liam Samuel then had a great chance of putting the hosts ahead when he was played in ten yards out, but he dragged his shot wide of the far post.

He made amends, however, when he was involved in the opening goal after 11 minutes , finding John whose cross to the back post was met by Logan who directed his header beyond Gorton.

This success spurred on the home side who were in complete control of proceedings with Samuel again prominent in a build-up which culminated  in Matthew Hughes forcing the Porth keeper to direct his shot for a corner.

From this, taken by Lewis, Logan rose to meet it but headed over from point blank range, and when Lewis delivered a ball into the goalmouth, Sam Wade narrowly failed to make a connection.

Wade was then heavily involved in the Reds` second goal on 32 minutes, carving open the Porth defence with a great pass which enabled Hughes to run on to before slotting his finish beyond Gorton.

Three minutes later, the lead was stretched further with Lewis providing a cross into the crowded goalmouth which seemingly evaded everyone, before Samuel arrived to force the ball home on the line.

A fourth success arrived within a further two minutes with Hughes being found in space before crossing into the middle where Wade was on hand to net from close in.

The visitors briefly rallied, with Doe again being denied by Richards who kept out his shot with an outstretched foot.

Four up at the break and with the match virtually won, the second half turned out to be something of a non-event for the home side, and with their opponents woefully bereft of any attacking options, the only event of note was the dismissal after 53 minutes of Samuel following a clash with Brad Williams who escaped with a caution.

Despite the introduction of Steve Berry and Bruno Forkuoh for Wade and Hughes respectively, the Reds failed to add to their lead, while Porth won their solitary corner of the contest after 73 minutes.


Nevertheless, it was goodto see the Reds back in action and secure the three points and a clean sheet in their goal of possible promotion at the end of the season.

LLANELLI TOWN;  Richards; I. Evans; Lewis; Thomas; J. Evans; Bevan ©; Wade (Berry, 69); John;

                         Logan (Owens, 46); Samuel; Hughes (Forkuoh, 71); Subs. not used; Harries; Zola.

AFC PORTH;       Golton; Williams (Heycock, 75); Parsons (Bullock, 64); Bird; Dwyer; Luck;

                        Taylor (Price, 70); Davies; Doe; Vivers ©; Flynn; Sub.not used; Smith.

SCORERS;              Llanelli Town – Logan, 11; Hughes, 32; Samuel, 35; Wade, 37.


AFC Porth;  Williams.

RED CARD;            Llanelli Town; Samuel.

REFEREE;              Phil Walters (Merthyr Tydfil).

ATTENDANCE;               132.

Next Saturday, the Reds make the short journey to the Swansea Valley to meet Pontardawe Town. Kick off 2 p.m.

On Friday, Stebonheath Park will host the fourth round FA Youth Cup tie between Swansea City and Arsenal with a 7 p.m. kick off.